Event Date:Start at 7:00 PM
February 15, 2021
The superyacht industry has seen significant growth over the last two decades and has established itself as a booming sub-sector of the wider maritime industry. When it comes to the design and engineering of these impressive projects, Lateral Naval Architects (a part of BMT) have established themselves as leading players in the market. Many of the challenges faced on these projects are similar to those of the wider industry, but some are particular to yachting, such as confidentiality, comfort, large project teams including exterior and interior designers. This lecture will present and discuss these challenges in more detail.
The superyacht industry is also subject to the same rules and regulations. The challenges of IMO 2050 are as relevant to yachts as the rest of the industry. However, considering some of the stakeholders, it could also present opportunities. The lecture will discuss Lateral’s “Futurology” framework, and focus on some of their recent yacht projects with special attention to optimisation and alternative fuels.
About the speaker
Alex Meredith Hardy is the Principal Naval Architect at Lateral. The team at Lateral provide complete technical and engineering expertise to the superyacht industry. After graduating from Southampton University Ship Science, Alex joined BMT Nigel Gee in 2006. After the formation of Lateral in 2018, Alex now heads up one of the core disciplines of the company, Naval Architecture. He leads a team of 11 naval architects developing many new, novel, and exciting projects and designs from concept through to build, and beyond. Alex is also responsible for team, project and client management and is experienced in working closely with shipyards, designers, client representatives and other parties to achieve a fantastic end product. Alex also sits on the Superyacht UK Technical Subgroup focusing on new regulation impacting the superyacht industry.
About IMarEST Webinars
- IMarEST Certificate of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for attending.
- Watch live from desktop or mobile, and ask questions to participants.
- Exclusive on demand access to the webinar for 1 month.
- Recordings then remain available to Institute members only in IMarEST TV , with online and offline access via desktop and mobile apps.
- Membership of the IMarEST is open to all, whether you are a student, just starting out in your career, an experienced professional or just someone who is interested in marine engineering, science or technology or our work.