Gunfleet Marine is named after a well known sandbank in the Thames Estuary which runs east to west about 5 miles off the Essex coast adjacent to Clacton and Frinton. The Gunfleet lighthouse on the northern end of the Gunfleet sands was built in 1850 and is still standing. In 1964 when pirate radio started in the UK Radio Caroline moored inside the Gunfleet taking shelter from the North Sea, but just outside the UK 3 mile territorial limit. In 2010 the Gunfleet wind farm came on line with over 50 large wind turbines mounted on the sands. Today the Gunfleet name is becoming widely recognised in quality yacht building.